Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What's going on lately...

I'm looking for a second job. My hours are really hit and miss with my current job and I am bored out of my mind all week long, so I would like something that I could work hourly all during the week and then on the weekends work at my current job. Obviously a third income wouldn't hurt anything.

We are saving to buy a wood burning stove to heat our house. We have propane heat which is very expensive and we are planning to buy a wood burning stove that heats water and the pipes with water will run into our house and have a coil type thing that goes through the furnace and our existing duct work and furnace will just blow the air through the hot water coil. (From what I understand.) It's August 31... and Michigan... so it will not be along at all until we are going to be needing heat.

Fortunately for us, we spent last winter in a basement with no heat. Most of the time it was in the high 40's where we were living. Yes... it was FREEZING. We had space heaters in our bedroom but at the highest I'm sure it was in the high 50's. We invested in a heating blanket lol. Best $30 we ever spent :)

So I think we are conditioned to not needing the heat very high, and that will save us money too!

I have a few quilts that I'm working on that potentially I might like to sell. I really like them though, so I might end up giving them as gifts, I have no idea.

Today and yesterday, like most Mondays and Tuesdays since I haven't been working during the week... I am pretty unproductive. Yesterday I basically did nothing. I cleaned the kitchen and made dinner and dessert, but that was about the most of what I did.

Today I have done nothing until about an hour ago. I went and cleaned out and organized and rearranged my sewing room. I'm super happy with it, and I really like it. I think the next thing I'm going to do is move the dog cages out of our bedroom. As classy and fancy dog cage night stands look... I think I'm done with the cages in the bedroom. We have a landing at the top of the stairs that is not really used for anything that I think would be a good spot to put the dog cages. VERY soon I'm going to need to buy a new cage for Dixie. She's growing out of her 48" tall cage very fast! We borrowed a cage from Jack's parents and we can return it any time now and replace it with her grown up sized cage. Unfortunately, one can't purchase that size cage at your average pet store.

Our housewarming party is coming up. We have a list of things that we wanted to complete before our party. One of the things that hasn't been finished yet is a little bit of power washing on the house. I did most of the power washing on Sunday after church. I still have to get up on the top of the garage and power wash the siding up there. I painted the second bathroom last week (I think it was only last week...) and the only room besides the basement that isn't finished yet is the 2nd bedroom upstairs. There is a bed in there and a nightstand with a tv sitting on the floor, but the walls and ceiling haven't been painted.

Of course I don't want to paint that room because eventually that was supposed to be our child's room. And I wanted to have a reason to paint it and a color to paint it instead of just some neutral color and put a big bed in it. I wanted to put a crib in it. Ugh. But I digress.... I can't decide what to do with that room, so I think it will be left as it is. For now. I don't think I'm ready to emotionally tackle that room.

I am starting to think of a menu and write down recipe ideas. I am so looking forward to our friends and family finally coming over and enjoying a big party at our house. We worked so hard to buy this house and make it what it is so far, and I'm so pumped about it.

Maybe we will be able to have a holiday party or two here this year!

I guess I could get back to crafting and getting up and doing things for the day. I don't think it would be too wise to get up on the roof of the garage without Jack home, just in case.

I'll leave you with a picture of my favorite room in the house... my sewing room:



1 comment:

  1. "Of course I don't want to paint that room because eventually that was supposed to be our child's room. And I wanted to have a reason to paint it and a color to paint it instead of just some neutral color and put a big bed in it. I wanted to put a crib in it. Ugh. But I digress.... I can't decide what to do with that room, so I think it will be left as it is. For now. I don't think I'm ready to emotionally tackle that room."

    I disagree, and you can disagree with me if you want, lol, but I think you should paint it. And maybe even put a crib up. Someday there will be a baby that uses that room. One thing that the Lord has spoken many times to my husband and I over the last couple years, is "to be prepared in and out of your season". So maybe there isn't a child that will use that bedroom NEXT WEEK, but sometime in the future there will be.
    For 17 years my parents wanted to have another child of their own. A couple years ago the Lord told my mom to "prepare the baby's room", so she did. She bought a crib at a garage sale for $6 and just started making it a nursery. Then a while after that, after still no baby of their own, God spoke adoption! They ended up replacing the crib since the one from the sale was SUPER old and NOT up to code, haha, and they did a lot more things to it after they knew a baby was coming for sure, but I think the initial set up of the room helped my mom in a way.
    I hope this makes sense and you don't take offense in any of it.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your comments below.