Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Making my blog invitation only and deleting my Facebook.

I have been really struggling with a lot of things that I have been doing in my life and I am feeling very confident that the New Year is going to be the time to commit myself to some changes.

#1 change - I am deleting the forum that I have been the administrator to for over 2 years now. It has been dying off quite a bit in the last 6 months to possibly a year. It really used to be this great place where a lot of women came for support and encouragement and it has become none of that any more. It's just become a burden on me and I need to unload it. I am so thankful for the friends that I made and I will never forget them, but I need to free up some of my time and my life and get rid of some stress.

#2 change - I am deleting my facebook account. I have really felt convicted about what Facebook has become and what I use it for. I in no way serve God or serve others by using facebook. I might post the occasional scripture or inspirational status or comment on people's things but I don't feel like I am witnessing for God through Facebook. Instead I feel like it is a tool that Satan uses to destroy my life. Every day I see new and shiny things that people post what they have or what they're getting and I struggle with jealousy or coveting things. I am constantly bombarded with pregnancy announcements and belly pictures. I really don't need to see that. I don't need to keep track of what my ex-co-worker from 5 years ago's sister's pregnancy. I really really don't. But now with FB you also can't delete people like that without it being a big faux pas. If you delete someone as a friend and you run into them at the grocery store, they feel jilted, so they don't want to be friends any more. It's a really bizarre situation, but I am guilty of it too... I want to be facebook friends with everybody I know! There are a lot more reasons that I want to get rid of my FB, privacy and spending more time in God's word and working on bettering my marriage with Jack are a few more.

#3 change - and most significant to my readers of this blog... I am going to invite only. So all of you silent readers out there, you are going to have to let me know that you are reading if you want to have an invite to read this blog. All I need to do is add your email address to the list of approved readers. I just really need to make my life a lot more private. I want to be a witness, but at a certain point, I want to know if I am actually sowing any seeds at all or if I'm just wasting time.


What does this mean for the future?

Well, I still have the same phone number. I would like to have more meaningful friendships with my friends, so if you just kept in touch with me on facebook and you really like me... hey, give me a call or text me and we can get together and have coffee some time. I love going out and doing things too, I'd love to meet you at the dog park or something! I really want my life to be more full and meaningful instead of just quick few sentence messages here and there through a social networking site.

I will also still check my email. (Irons.Allison@Gmail.com) So feel free to add it to your address book. Write me a note if you want to, if not that's cool too.

I am really looking to weed out the acquaintances from my personal circle so that I can really focus on growing myself and growing in my relationships with those people who choose to be that important in my life. I am more than open to adding more people into my close circle of friends and loved ones, so if you'd like to be in that, by all means, let's get to know each other better.

It's just a super lonely world to have 500+ "friends" on Facebook and wonder why not one has commented to see how you're doing in a long time.

So that's where I am.

On (or around, depending on how busy I am) January 1, 2011 my blog will become invite only, I will delete my facebook account and my forum.

To my readers: Be on the lookout for my 2011 resolution and goal list!

To all of my Facebook "friends" : I hope that I get to stay in touch with each and every one of you... and while I know that's just not a reality... I look forward to running in to you in random places and we will catch up like normal people instead of each of us knowing all the intimate details of each other's private lives without having spoken any words to each other in years ;)

Happy New Year!! And God Bless you all until we meet again!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry things have been so stressful for you lately, and I hope we are able to keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. will u invite me to your blog? I like to see how your doing. You've done a beautiful job on the house, hope you had a blessed Christmas! I'm taking Bill to neuro dr 2dy for check up, will post if any changes. Virgi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please send me an invite (Brittan 356 @ gmail .com - no spaces)
    I also have been feeling a pull away from FB. Haven't been on in a couple days, which is HUGE for me. It is a time suck and I find myself judging people way too much or getting annoyed at people. Not good.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your comments below.