Monday, January 10, 2011

Playing hookey today (and testing out a new iPhone app)

This is my first post from a blogging app that Jack bought for us on our iPhones. Cross your fingers that it works!

I'm playing hookey from work today! Jack wakes up usually an hour before me because even though he starts work at the same time, he has about an hour drive to get to work where my drive is between 10 and 15 minutes, depending which job I'm driving to. My alarm goes off at 6:37am and for some reason at a certain point where Jack is out of the shower and getting dressed in the morning, I inevitably wake up and ask him what time it is. Every day he answers with a time that is somewhere between 6:29 and 6:36am. Never fails. Today was 6:30.

And in the morning if Jack is in a bad mood, his bad mood will literally wake me up out of a dead sleep. I'm not sure how, but it really does. I'll wake up, roll over and ask him what's wrong. This morning, Jack had the good fortune of taking a cold shower. Apparently the fire went out through the night.

(We have an outdoor wood burning stove that heats our house and our hot water.)

Since this is our first winter with the wood burner, we are still learning how to burn our wood most effectively and efficiently. The last few days as we are really settling in to the cold of winter we are struggling to keep the fire lit. Sometimes the logs are too big and when they burn down they get suspended over the coals and the fire extinguishes or sometimes the ashes need to be cleaned out or raked forward. It's an artform apparently and as we fumble through, sometimes we wake up to cold water. In that event, Jack bundles up and goes outside to stock the fire and shuffle logs around.

Which brings me back to this morning. Jacks grumblings about his cold shower woke me up exactly 7 minutes before my alarm was supposed to go off. As Jack went outside to stock a d rearrange the fire, I penned (is that still the right word since we are now in this technology stage?) an email to my boss and coworkers letting them know I wouldn't be in today. Luckily, I'm not a very important person at my work, so I'm not really missed when I'm not there.

Today, I plan to make the most of my day off and home by myself. I had forgotten how nice it was to just have the house to myself! I plan to do some deep cleaning in the bathrooms and organize my closet a bit. I want to get some sewing done and go return those drapes and bring home the replacements. I plan on having a very productive day. :)

So good morning all & happy Monday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments below.