Wednesday, March 16, 2011

3:16 Day / Foster Parenting / Zentangle

Today is 3:16.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only Begotten Son...

That whosoever shall believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life!


I worked this morning at the nursing home. Jocelyn had her gallbladder surgery this morning so she had two workers at the house, Deb and I. Deb did most of the morning routine and I got a few of the girls dressed. I was so excited to dress them all in green and make sure none of them got pinched... and by the time I got Charlotte out to the table, I had green pants, green socks, green polo and a green zip up sweater on her. Deb gently reminded me that today is March 16th, not March 17th yet. Oops! Good thing Charlotte has more than one green shirt!

I only worked for a few hours today, and after work I came home to find that my new book had come in the mail. Finding Grace by Donna VanLiere. I finished it and then had some time to finish up my Zentangle for the day too!

Donna VanLiere is going to be speaking for an event at our church in April for the women's event called Finding Grace. I was really looking forward to going to this event just because I had never been to a women's event yet. I looked up Donna on youtube to see if I could find any videos of her speaking and I found out that she is a Christian Fiction Author! My kind of lady! Then I began to read about her book called Finding Grace. She has an amazing story about overcoming molestation as a child and then dreaming her whole life about how she wants to have a husband and a house with a white picket fence and a family. Turns out the picket fence kept getting swept away by the flood waters (literally, from the river in her back yard) and she struggled with infertility for almost a decade! She eventually grew her family with two baby girls from China, first Grace and then Kate. And afterwards, a son from Guatemala named David. It was an amazing story and a pretty quick read. I had decided that I wanted to get her book(s) before her seminar and read them. Unfortunately her book isn't in my library yet, so I ordered it off of Amazon. Her book was witty and sad and happy all at the same time. It touched on some aspects of adoption that I absolutely loved. It also talked about God's Grace and, even though I felt bad because I just bought this brand new book, I didn't hesitate to underline a few parts of the book that I just loved. This is one of those special parts:

We had held out our arms for years; we had held them out till they ached and our bodies shook under the strain. Perhaps that is when a gift is most valued and loved. God is excessive, even reckless, when it comes to grace but it is never wasted and I wonder how often it is acknowledged.

That small excerpt was talking about how many years they waited with their arms outstretched, waiting for a baby and waiting for God to fill their arms and also is symbolic about what infertility is like... just years of waiting with outstretched arms to God... Just reaching! And I totally get the analogy of holding your arms out until they ached and bodies shaking under the strain, because that too is what infertility is like to your physical body and spirit.

I took a little break in the afternoon to head over to Michael's to buy some black markers for my Zentangle hobby too. On my way home from Michael's, I decided to stop by the church and drop off the rest of our money for our trip that we are going on this spring and on the way to church, I happened to drive by the elementary school. I looked at the clock and it was 3:35. There were small children everywhere and crossing the roads every which way being directed by other small children wearing yellow reflective gear and holding stop signs. At the same time that I stopped to watch the children cross, I tried to guess the ages of the children and I watched big brothers and sisters holding hands with little brothers and sisters, helping them carry their backpacks. Then, I Refuse by Josh Wilson comes on the radio and I sat in line behind the other cars where the small child held up the stop sign and just bawled.

The lyrics to this song that I have loved since the first time I heard it go something like this:

Sometimes I, I just want to close my eyes

And act like everyone's alright

When I know they're not

This world needs God, but it's easier to stand and watch

I could pray a prayer and just move on

Like nothing's wrong

But I Refuse


I don't want to live like I don't care

I don't want to say another empty prayer

Oh, I refuse to sit around and wait for someone else

To do what God has called me to do myself

I could choose not to move

But I refuse

I can hear the least of these, crying out so desperately

And I know we are the hands and feet of You, oh God

So if You say move, it's time for me to follow through

And do what I was made to do

And show them who You are

I don't want to live like I don't care

I don't want to say another empty prayer

Oh, I refuse to sit around and wait for someone else

To do what God has called me to do myself

I could choose not to move

But I refuse

I refuse to stand and watch the weary and lost cry out for help

I refuse to turn my back and try and act like all is well

I refuse to stay unchanged, to wait another day to die to myself

I refuse to make one more excuse

I don't want to live like I don't care

I don't want to say another empty prayer

Oh, I refuse to sit around and wait for someone else

To do what God has called me to do myself

I could choose not to move

But I refuse






This song has really moved me since we have felt that very strong pull towards doing Foster Parenting. I refuse to sit around and wait for other people to do what God has called US to do. He has a plan for us and a purpose for us, and we are following Him in what He guides us and calls Jack and I to do.

Tomorrow is our next couple classes for our licensing. We only have 3 more until we can start our home study. We still have to have our local clearances/background checks done. Jack needs to send over a few copies of his pay stubs, we need to get the vet pet records and vaccine records sent over to them, but I was going to take the dogs in a week or two to get all of their spring and annual shots since they are due and send the records then. It seems like we only have a few small things left to do... I am so excited for the Homestudy process too!

And back to John 3:16! Here is my Zentangle that I did today, I was inspired by John 3:16.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I apologize for the terrible cell phone picture and terrible lighting, but it's the best I've got right now :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments below.