Monday, March 21, 2011

Thursday's Foster Parenting Class

I haven't had a chance to write about what happened at our most recent Foster Parenting class from Thursday.

First of all, the girl teaching the class (yes, I intentionally wrote girl because I'm pretty sure she was 19 years old at most) was a big air head. She seemed to really have a passion for the class, but lacked the experience to control the classroom. There was one particularly obnoxious man in the classroom who was aggressive and rude throughout the entire class. He very clearly resented having to be there as required by the State to be able to adopt a grandchild of his.

The class itself was good! She was talking about how children that come into Foster Care are coming out of a traumatic experience and that trauma can stunt their growth in so many ways. The effects of abuse are long reaching and long lasting. We didn't learn much we didn't already know, and mostly the classes are geared towards teaching parents that these children are not going to be able to be successfully parented the way they parented their own kids. Jack and I don't have children, so we have no set in stone ways of parenting that we have done and now have to re-learn new ways. I think that will end up being a positive thing for us.

On one hand, we have no parenting experience. But, on the other, we have no behaviors that we have to change. So it will probably be a smoother transition for Jack and I than for most of the other parents.

I have been noticing over and over again that we are the only couple there experiencing infertility and that we are growing our family and serving others through the ministry of Foster Care. Infertility has such an interesting way of isolating you, even in this. They have support groups on how to parent these children differently than your own... What about the support groups for those who don't have "their own."

Aside from that aspect, we are still feeling every day more encouraged and assured that we are still following God's will for our lives. It's amazing to be able to share this testimony about what God has done in our lives. How God has taken us through this journey and how He has changed and molded us year by year. It's also really comforting to be allowing him to light our path and follow where He leads. Your word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path. Psalm 119:105.

I was thinking yesterday about how I have been afraid to make any purchases for children's things, that fear inside of me about how we have a big container of the baby items we purchased in the first year of trying to get pregnant. A box that I have now not looked through in 2 years. I'm afraid because of the pain and reminder that all of those baby onsies cause me when I think about how much hope we had.

I need to have my Hope renewed in this! THIS is what God picked for us! THIS is the time that we are supposed to be excited and purchasing things. On top of that, for our home study we do need to have the basic necessities set up.

Speaking of the home study, I'm not sure when exactly we are going to be able to do that. Since Jack got this new job, he's probably going to start in about 3 weeks. For our licensing they need 3 pay stubs. I think we should just give them 3 pay stubs from his current job and then when he's worked at the new job for 3 weeks we can send over those? I'm probably way over thinking this.

Our home study can be started as soon as we send in the rest of the remaining paperwork. We need to go to get our police clearances, finger printed, Jack's pay stubs, fire escape plan (which I'm still not sure exactly what that is.) We only have a few things left really and then we will be referred to our licensing caseworker!

In other big news, probably by next weekend, my mom will be moving in! That is pretty exciting! As for right now, we are still waiting to get my little brothers things out but he works 6 or 7 days a week, he said his next day off is tomorrow. I wonder if we could get it all done in one morning... that would be lovely.

We are planning on building a bedroom downstairs and also a big closet for my mom's bedroom. It probably won't be too big of a deal. My mom is anxious to have her own space and get started on making it her own, but we just need to take it one step at a time. Jim's stuff has just got to go first.

Today I'm heading over to my in law's to Zentangle with my mother-in-law. We are just going to visit and doodle which should be super fun and relaxing. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to bring one of the mutts this morning... I kind of want to bring Dixie but I am not sure. I don't think my father in law will be home, and we usually just bring her to see him since he is in love with her!

I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving. Psalm 69:30

1 comment:

  1. A Haiti missionary that I follow on twitter, posted this last night. He didn't write it, his friend did. But he encouraged everyone to read it! http://kingfamilythings.blogspot.com/2011/03/courage-fear-and-adoption.html

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your comments below.