Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Catching my breath and catching up.

We have been feverishly (well not really) working on the basement bedroom.  The bedroom has now been painted and the closet is painted.  We bought the flooring last night and it was after 9pm so we decided not to pull out the saw to start the project.  I assume laying the laminate floor should go relatively quickly.  I have never done it before, but I'm hoping all will go well.  And also that we bought enough haha.  If we run out hopefully it will be in the closet and not some place important :)

We also got some pretty big news on the Foster Parenting front!! We are having our first meeting with our social worker in the first of June!  I think it's kind of crazy how smoothly this has gone.  I called up to Bethany and it turns out that the woman whose job it was to make sure everyone got everything done before your file goes to the woman who assigns licensing workers was let go!  So thank God I called.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease!  This nice lady looked over our file really quickly, let us know what we needed to do yet and told us that she was walking our file over to the desk of the lady who assigns workers after she got off the phone with me.  So last week, I got an email from a lady introducing herself and saying that she was going to be our licensing worker and we scheduled our first meeting!!

Also we have decided that we are only buying one crib.  So our nursery room is going to be a bit smaller than we thought, well not smaller, but less crowded.  Originally we wanted to get two cribs and have two bunk beds in case we got any combination of children that needed cribs or toddler beds or twin sized beds... We found out for at least the first 6 months, we can only be licensed for 3 kids, so the 4th bed is unnecessary.  So later on, down the road, if we ever do NEED another crib, we can just run out and get one... In the mean time, we will have one crib, two twin sized beds, and one cradle.  I'm sure that will be sufficient.

Right now I'm working on 3 quilts that I would like to get done ASAP.  As soon as I'm done with that, I'm planning on entirely packing up my sewing room and moving it out into the hallway/landing/weird extra room area at the top of the stairs and make that my new sewing room, that way both of the other bedrooms will be entirely for the kids.

I was turned on to this awesome organization by my friend Brittan, called ifosterhope!  I so want one of their tshirts!  This place is great, they organize getting starter kits to foster families so that they can concentrate on the kids and settling them in and taking care of them instead of inevitably having to run out and buy them an entire wardrobe and toys and all that stuff.  It's also based on building up foster families and supporting them as they go through the difficult process of loving these children and caring for them and seeing them go through so much pain and having to let them go.  I haven't researched it that much, but from what little I've seen, I dig 'em!!

Check them out for yourself here!  If you are interested in helping with this organization, or helping us get ready for our foster arrivals, we would love the help!  We are looking for gently used items of clothing for children ages newborn to 9 years old and toys and books and age appropriate things for that huge range!

I'm really hoping that we will be blessed with a family (no matter how temporary it may be) this summer!! That would just be awesome to be able to be caring for children and registering for school in the fall and all that fun stuff!!

Anyway, that's the other stuff that has been going on with us lately.  We have lots more in the works, but we aren't quite ready to share that news yet either so keep an eye out.  Always something new and exciting going on over here, that's for sure!

2 comments:

  1. JUNE!??!?! That is awesome!!!!!!!! Looks like you need to do some serious shopping girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear your other news! Have a great time on your vacation this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your comments below.