Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Doctor's appointment today

I don't remember if I made my follow up appointment for today or not, but I have to go in for my ultrasound, 3D ultrasound and sonohysterogram (SHG). 

I had a nightmare the other night about the SHG.  I remember the procedure well, it's pretty simple in fact.  The most uncomfortable part is when the catheter is inserted through the cervix.  That cervix is closed so they shove it through.  That part was a sharp uncomfortable pain. 


Basically a SHG allows you to see inside your uterus.  During a pregnancy, you can see the baby in the uterus because it is inside a fluid filled sac.  So during a SHG they insert a catheter through the cervix into the uterus to fill it with saline.  A balloon at the end of the catheter is inflated to stop the saline from coming out, and the transvaginal ultrasound takes place.  In this image, there are growths in the uterus.  In the image of my ultrasound... I'm hoping and praying there will be NO growths.

This is the first time I'm getting these procedures done by someone who actually knows what they're doing and specializes in this type of thing.  I have had many ultrasounds before that were interpreted by doctors who do not specialize in infertility.  Generally pretty useless results and a complete waste of money. 

Today, I will be having these tests to figure out if there are polyps or fibroids in my uterus that are making me bleed the way I do.  Naturally this time, my period was shockingly normal.  3 days of bleeding and DONE.  I almost started to worry like something was wrong, but really, something is right!!

I'm hoping and praying that I do not need a D&C or polypectomy or myomectomy.  They all sound horrible.  Especially the myomectomy.

Fibroids can be in various places in or around the uterus.  They can be on the inside, taking up the place in the center of the uterus, irritating the lining and preventing pregnancy sort of like an IUD.  they can be in the wall of the uterus.  And they can be grown outside the uterus, sometimes people with this problem have bladder problems or bowel problems because the tumors grow in such a way that pushes on these two areas making going to the bathroom difficult.  Thankfully, those have never been my symptoms.
Because of the type of bleeding that I have experienced, my doctor believes that my problem is either a fibroid or hormonal.  



This image better illustrates the difference between a polyp and a fibroid.  A polyp grows in the endometrium that is shed every month, and a polyp can be passed naturally while a fibroid it appears cannot.  Don't quote me. 

So I am sitting here trying not to concern myself... but it sure is hard to not be concerned.  I had a nightmare that some crack pot doctor tried to do the SHG in the back of an SUV.  I'm so glad that Jack is going with me so that no crack pots can get me into the back of their SUV's to poke catheters through my cervix.  


I just want to figure this stuff out so we can deal with it and move past it.  


Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?  Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?  Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?  And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:  And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.  Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?  Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?  (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.  Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 25:34

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments below.