Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Arie - 1 Month Old

My little man is one month and 6 days old!  It definitely goes by fast, but that's what everyone says.  I just wanted to type up a quick 1 month update for me and for baby Arie :)

Postpartum Recovery:
All of my stitches are completely healed and we are back in business.  We are officially trying to conceive again and I feel better than new.  I definitely wondered if I would ever feel whole again and it took about 3 1/2 weeks for me to stop bleeding and then another few days to feel like my old self again and trust me, everything works even better than it did before.  My back no longer hurts at the spot where they put in my (failed) epidural and I'm ready to start going for walks every day!  Just waiting for the weather to warm up!  I did join weight watchers again and I'm looking forward to watching that work for me again like it did before I got pregnant!  I have 6 lbs to go to get to my pre-pregnancy weight and then I would like to lose another 50lbs total.

Sleep
Everyone tells you to "sleep now" before you have the baby, but that is totally ridiculous.  And I really do get plenty of sleep now.  Newborn babies really do sleep a lot (most of them anyway, and mine included.)  Arie goes to sleep somewhere between 8-10pm and then sleeps until 12am-3am depending on when he went to sleep and is up for his first middle of the night nursing session for anywhere from 15 minutes while I change his diaper and get back in bed to nurse him or go downstairs and sit in the lazyboy recliner and nurse him to a couple hours.  Then he goes back to sleep for a few more hours and I get a few more hours of sleep.  During the week, I get up by myself in the middle of the night so that Jack gets a good night's sleep to go to work.  During the weekends, usually Jack will get up and change Arie's diaper and bring him back to me and I will nurse him.  Last weekend, I guess I got so in to my routine that I didn't even bother waking Jack up.  He has been working some overtime that overlaps into the weekends, so maybe that's why I got used to not waking him up at night.

 Jack doesn't mind getting up with me at all, but it's just easier for me to get up since Jack can't feed him.  I am still taking naps during the day if I feel like I need to and by the end of the day I'm definitely ready to go to bed when Arie is.

Cloth Diapering
It really is a huge success.  This past weekend, we went to two different family parties where we were away from home for several hours and we even cloth diapered out of the house.  It really is much easier to cloth away from home than try to keep disposables on hand just in case we want to leave the house.  I have 3 wet bags that I can use and I just pack them into my diaper bag and we change his diaper like normal and put the diaper in the wet bag to be emptied into his diaper pail once we get home.

Cloth Diaper laundry is really no big deal.  I'm still trying to figure out the best and most successful routine to use with my specific equipment.  I have line dried my diapers several times but it's still chilly enough outside that we are still burning wood so they have a slight smoke smell when I do that.  I have figured out that instead of doing a rinse in the beginning of the cycle that I should do a pre-wash cycle, and instead of pre-washing on cold, I pre-wash on warm.  I also stripped my diapers the other day and I haven't really noticed a difference.  I thought that Arie's little rash on his bum had to do with detergent build up but the little redness reappeared today, so I guess my diapers didn't need to be stripped... but I did read that it's good maintenance to strip them once a month... and since my little man is a month, that means it's time to strip!

He has *ALMOST* grown out of his orange edge GMD's and NB sized Bummis Super Brite covers, but he's not quite big enough for the yellow edge yet.  His XS BumGenius AIO's still fit him, but they never fit super well since they are so wide between the legs.  I still really don't like the Rumparooz Lil Joey's... They just don't dry!  Yesterday I tried his one size BumGenius 4.0's with the infant insert and those fit him very well on the smallest rise setting and the tightest snap setting!  So that's really exciting.  The other super exciting thing about that is that unlike the XS BumGenius AIO's or the Lil Joey's, it appears as though the breastmilk poo DOES rinse right out of the 4.0's!  With the XS BG's and Lil Joey's, we have to use the diaper sprayer to wash off the poop, somehow it just sticks to those diapers.  Our prefolds don't need to be prerinsed.  Even with that extra step of rinsing the occasional diaper, I still would rather cloth diaper any day over using disposables.  The other morning I went through 9 diapers before I even got him off the changing table... he just kept pooping!

Breastfeeding
I really could not be happier with this choice.  I love nursing him, I love how easily I can get him to calm down, I love the incredible bond that we have and I loooove the convenience and ease of it.  I don't have to wash any bottles or nipples or sanitize anything.  I am also not pumping and I don't have to worry about cleaning or packing any extra equipment to feed my baby... I am self contained and that is awesome too.  I think it's funny when I hear people say that bottle feeding is freeing... but I really can't imagine anything more freeing than breastfeeding.  No matter where I am, no matter what time of day it is, I don't need to search for something to heat up the water, I don't have to mix anything, I don't have to worry about running out of formula and having to run out in the middle of the night with a screaming baby at home... Breastfeeding in my opinion is infinitely more convenient than any of the alternatives.

I have fed my baby in the gas station parking lot, on the side of the road, at friends' houses, at family's houses, and around the clock.  I can feed my baby without even having to roll over in bed, just unsnap my nursing tank and cuddle back up to my babe.  Sometimes he doesn't even have to open his eyes for the middle of the night feeding, he starts rooting in his sleep and I can wake up and nurse him and he falls back asleep without even fully being awake. 



The rest of life
My house really is much cleaner than it has been in a long time, if ever.  Most days, with Arie's naps, I have enough time to keep the kitchen clean and the floors vacuumed and mopped and the laundry caught up.  Today I have done 3 loads of laundry and I am currently working on my fourth, being diaper laundry.  I also vacuumed my whole first floor and mopped the first floor.  I also did the dishes and cleaned the whole kitchen.  I have folded and put away Arie's clothes and folded 4 loads of mine and Jack's laundry.  And now I am having a bit of time here to write in my blog and catch up some.  I also have had time to paint my nails about once a week.  :) 

Random baby stuff
Arie is growing out of his newborn sized clothing!  I hate to say already since he is 5 weeks and 2 days old and that's quite some time to be in newborn sized.  It is definitely bittersweet to be putting away the cute small clothes but it's nice to get a little bit of extra room in the closet.  We have been given so many clothes in the last few weeks and that's super exciting.  This little man is going to be so well dressed.  Since it got up to the 70's and 80's a couple weeks ago, I went out and bought some newborn sized shorts rompers and then it got all cold and spring like again,  so i'm afraid he's going to grow out of those few outfits before he has a chance to wear them again. 

Since he has gotten a little bigger (8lbs 0.6oz at his one month check up!) he fits into the moby wrap better (or maybe I am better at wrapping it).  I got the chance to use it at my aunt's house and he slept in it for almost 4 hours!  Woohoo!  Also, that really made it easier for me not to share holding him :)






I'm losing my train of thought now, so I guess that's all for now. 


1 comment:

Feel free to leave your comments below.