Thursday, June 21, 2012

DIY nursing top tutorial




I was looking around online for nursing tops that are a little more discreet and don't leave the whole top of my boob hanging out (the way a nursing tank top that folds down does) and I found these shirts:
Nursing v-neck Before & After 
That is from BoobDesign.com and it's a $79 tshirt.  Yes, you read that correctly. Seventy nine dollars for a TSHIRT.  If you want to buy the shirt instead of making your own, head right on over to http://shop.boobdesign.com/en/product/344/nursing-v-neck-before-after.  I love their stuff, but it's a bit too rich for my blood.  If you want to learn how to make your own shirt... keep on reading.



 First step is buy two shirts. (While I was making this, I realized that if you buy 3 shirts, you get two nursing tops out of it.) These two are a bit sheer, but a stretchy cotton tshirt that is fitted I think would work best.  But I suppose you could do this with any kind of top.  Boob Design even has hoodies like this!
 This looks really uneven, but I swear it's even.  Cut it across underneath where the boobs are in the shirt and up each of the sides.
 Then you are left with a shirt like the left and a piece like the right.
 Cut the next shirt with the piece all the way up to the arm pits.  This is where you can get two shirts, using the front and the back piece.
 On the bottom of the piece that you cut just below the boobs, cut it up 3/4" and roll it over and hem it.
 I just quickly ran it under my sewing machine.
 Then you are left with this.  Looks a bit rough.
 This has that large piece that we cut off the other shirt laid on top.
 Turn the tshirt inside out.
 Lay the large extra piece right sides together on top of the shirt with the short part underneath and the long part over lapping on the top. Pin up the sides making sure to line up the shirt at the bottom.
 Don't mind my lens shadow, but this is showing that there are three layers of shirt after the top part that goes over the boobs.

 I ran both sides through my serger.


 Making sure that I had all three layers of fabric in the machine, I sewed all the way down both sides taking the pins out as I got to them.

 This is what you're left with.
 Close up of the serged edges and the inside of the shirt.
 This is what that seam looks like on the outside where the flaps meet up and the side seam is re-sewn with the serger.




 I did figure out that the shirt was way too see through to use, and my sister discovered that you can even see my stretch marks through the tshirt haha.  Whoops.  But at least it's really obvious how the shirt works.  I have made this with a darker shirt that wasn't as sheer and it worked MUCH better.
 Peek a boo! This is how the boobie access panels work.

 This sheer shirt looks much better under a sweater.
 Sorry for the blurry picture but this is how it works.

 In action... discreet nursing!
 Success
 Works like a charm!

12 comments:

  1. This is an amazing! Thank you for sharing this and for taking the time to make a tutorial. I look forward to making one when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work, great idea. If I have another baby I will definitely be doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Fabulous idea! Now if only I could sew.....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!! If I ever figure out how to use my machine I might try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved this allison !!!! please make a video , would understand it a little bit more , lol

    Stephanie (Lagirlzhot)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! I love that u don't have to lift the shirt so it exposes your belly or pull ur shirt down so it exposes ur boob. Definitely gonna try making one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tutorial! I started cutting up my shirts and now I wonder wether you hemmed the top of the large piece, too? Mine looks like it's gonna roll into a little sausage if I don't...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome tutorial!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your comments below.