Friday, August 17, 2012

Starting an organic vegetable garden

With a little one who will be eating fruits and veggies next year, I'm really excited to start an organic vegetable garden. I know I need to start it this fall, so I'm in the planning stages.

I'm trying to think of my mom's vegetable garden from when I was growing up and my grandma's too. My mom's garden was in squares with paths in between and my grandma's was long rows. For some reason, the squares appeal to me a little bit more, but I'm really not sure what the pros and cons of each are. I think the majority of vegetable gardens that I've seen are in rows.

I'm trying to come up with a list of vegetables that I want to attempt and I feel like I have a pretty ambitious list so far, but I really like my vegetables!

-corn
-potatoes
-onions
-carrots
-zucchini
-squash (summer, acorn, spaghetti)
-bell peppers
-tomatoes
-pumpkins
-lettuce
-spinach
-kale maybe
-egg plant
-green beans



I would also love some strawberries and blueberries. And fresh herbs.

On top of being the healthiest option for food since I absolutely know what goes in it, and being the cheapest way to eat a ton of vegetables, I think it would be an awesome thing for Arie to grow up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments below.