Monday, September 17, 2012

First adventure in parenting with a sick husband

Anyone who has been close enough to a man when they are sick understands "man cold."

That's what's going on under our roof tonight. Jack is sick with something and I think Arie is fighting it, not quite sick yet.

Jack got home from work and brought his laptop home which left me to believe that he was planning to work from home tomorrow. He stopped and picked up some cold pills and some Vicks. I handed him some NyQuil and told him to go to bed. Yup, at 5pm. I brought him some bean and ham soup and a big 1L bottle of water and he has been sleeping pretty much since.

I rubbed some Vicks on Arie's chest and back and slathered a bit on the bottom of his feet and put socks on (try it, it works fabulously!) we skipped bath time tonight in case he isn't feeling well, I didn't want him to be cold and wet.

Today was the first day that I've had to do this entirely on my own. Last night, Arie was kind of congested and woke up almost hourly, so I barely slept. Now here it is, 10pm and Jack is sleeping in the guest bed and Arie fell asleep and I'm rocking to make sure he's out.

I'm just watching to make sure Arie doesn't start coughing or get hoarse or get a fever. I haven't checked to see if Jack is running a temperature because I didn't want to get too close.

Hopefully tomorrow goes smoothly. I stuffed diapers tonight and tomorrow I have laundry to put away and I think I am going to try to find things to do out of the house so that we can steer clear of germs if Jack stays home.

One thing is for sure, as much as I hate that Arie might ever not feel well, being the one who can comfort him by a simple back rub or hug really is absolutely every special thing that I imagined. This feeling is amazing. Makes me love my mom more because I remember being sick and wanting comfort. I hope I don't get sick... My mom will have to come over ;)

I better get some sleep while I can. And, I need rest to ward off me getting sick too!

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully you or Arie doesn't get sick. But the blessing of nursing that when babies get sick, it doesn't last too long usually. Nursing is like medicine and you make very healthy meals, keep a clean house so this cold/sickness shouldn't last too long, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that is hard. I'm sure they are both back at 100% now, and hopefully you are well rested!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your comments below.