Saturday, October 13, 2012

Tandem Nursing

I have been searching the Internet frantically trying to find some reliable information about tandem nursing with the spacing my kids will have.

Everything I have found has conflicted. I have seen it from one extreme to the other about whether or not it is possible, with only 1 or 2 examples of the same spacing as my kids.

As is my way, I guess I'll just forge my own path and document it as best I can along the way.

Arie was 7 months and 3 days old when I discovered I was pregnant with number two.

While searching for information, I was advised by some knowledgable midwives that one thing that might help a possible supply dip is pumping. As much as I never wanted to pump, I want to wean even less, so we are on our way to buy a breast pump.

The theory is that if my supply tanks, which I am desperately hoping that it does not, I will have increased my supply so it might level off to what it needs, or, I will have a supply of milk in my freezer.

I am not going to lie, I am not looking forward to pumping one bit. I was hell bent on not pumping at all. But, I am going to do everything in my power to Keep my supply during pregnancy. Especially since I am Arie's only source of food because he is not ready for and has not started solids yet.

All I can really do is chronicle my attempts and write it down in case it helps someone else out there in the world!

So, I am 5 weeks pregnant tomorrow and it looks like there have been no noticeable changes to my supply or my breasts. I have been on the watch for any teeny tiny little change to alert me of this pregnancy, but, so far, nothing. I almost think that I am to the point of imagining things because I have read so many accounts of what it felt like to mothers who have had their supply drop or disappear.

In my opinion, the best advice that I have found so far is to eat a very healthy and balanced diet and stay extremely hydrated. This works out well for me during my Unprocessed October challenge as my diet includes zero junk food and zero processed food of any kind. All of my food is made from scratch.

I have noticed that I have begun to feel tired several days this week and also very hungry between meals. I have been snacking on fruit and nuts in between meals.

Since I am not drinking milk, I am going to have to make a huge effort to eat foods very high in calcium.

I had to laugh at some of the things I found while searching for information such as "wean your baby immediately upon discovering pregnancy!" I am of the mindset that if babies are supposed to be exclusively breastfed for at least year (getting their primary nutrition from it, or formula) that God doesn't make mistakes. I am in excellent health, especially since having Arie and losing 70lbs. I am confident that my body can handle this.

That's my update for now. We are heading home, pump in tow. I'll keep you all updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments below.