Saturday, July 6, 2013

Making it through

It seems like I probably won't be writing much more than really random updates any more.

We are 3 weeks and 1 day into having two babies.

So maybe I should do a bullet style update:


  • Cloth Diapering
    • Daily diaper laundry! I really wish that I had a second washing machine.  Yesterday, I spent the day dedicated to catching up on all of my laundry and then at the end of the day, I threw the diaper laundry in.  A lot of days, I wash first thing in the morning and then throw the diapers in before I go to bed too to start the wash cycle over night and then be able to do the different cycles as I get up and nurse the boys throughout the night. 
    • Today is going to be the first day that I'm actually going to sun the diapers at all.  Because of how often I'm doing diaper laundry, I just don't have time to have the diapers out on the line... Maybe I won't throw them out on the line... Just don't have time lol
    • It's really no big deal to have 2 in diapers and cloth diapers at that.  I can't imagine the massive amount of money we would be spending on diapers if we didn't use cloth diapers.
  • Tandem Breastfeeding
    • My nipples/breasts are no longer sore at all.
    • I'm still leaking and it's pretty crazy.
    • Arie and Luke are visibly fattening up and if I start to think about nursing, my boobs will leak. Absolutely no supply issues whatsoever.
    • I'm pretty stinking amazed at my body and ability to breastfeed two kids!
    • I'm really really happy that I stuck it out through pregnancy to be able to nurse two, Arie is no where close to be ready to be weaned.
    • It's a juggling act if both of them need to nurse while we are out and about. Arie doesn't understand waiting his turn at all.
    • I think people think I'm a huge freak for breastfeeding two kids at once.  It wasn't until I had Luke that I really felt like people thought Arie was way too old to be nursing still.  He's only a year old... I am still happy with the decision to be nursing him.
    • Sometimes I find it very frustrating dealing with two crying babies, since neither of them understand that the other also has needs.  I really am praying for more patience. 
  • Sleep
    • LOL.  What sleep?
    • No, seriously.
    • Just kidding... bed time usually starts between 6-8, depending on what time Arie actually took a nap that day.  Bath time is after dinner and then the rocking process starts.  We have started to have some success with me nursing Arie until he decides he's done and then if he doesn't fall asleep on me, or if Luke is ready right away for me to nurse, we switch off and Jack takes Arie and I take Luke in the other room.  Jack will rock Arie to sleep and then they will get in bed.  I pop in and out of the room at night to nurse and change Luke.  
    • Luke seems to have the night time is when we sleep thing down.  He rarely stays up too long after nursing at night now.  I change him probably every 4 hours or so at night.  He seems to be waking every 2 hours to nurse, almost on the dot!  
    • Arie now knows how to safely get out of our bed, so we need to put a gate up on our bedroom door instead of keeping the door closed and it's no longer as stressful to put Arie to sleep and then leave the room while he's sleeping.  
  • Home life - House stuff
    • The lawn certainly doesn't get mowed as much as it did.  Jack is still finding time to be able to get vehicles fixed when they break, even if it means that he has Arie out in the garage with him in the stroller or something, just hanging out.  
    • Every few days, I get a burst of time where both Luke and Arie will cooperate and I can power through the cleaning.  The floors definitely need a little more loving on the scrubbing aspect, but almost daily they get swept or vacuumed or both.  So I'm kinda satisfied with how well I've been doing with housework with two small babies. 
    • The dishes don't back up too badly, Jack and I have been doing really well with that.  Probably better than we were before we had kids at all! 
    • I feel up to having company again! I had play dates this past week and they went just fine! I was so nervous thinking about how exhausting it would be to clean up before and after having company but it wasn't that big of a deal.
  • Going Out and About
    • Luke hates his car seat too.  That babytrend car seat is cursed or something.  He doesn't immediately fall asleep and you can just see how uncomfortable he is from the minute you put him in.  I hate that car seat so much.  I hated it so much with Arie too, we switched him to the convertible seat at about 4 months because I hated it so much.  I don't know if I need to wait it out to try to make it a little easier on myself to contain the two of them since I hate strollers so much... I have no idea what to do.
    • My first outing by myself with both boys was this past week on Monday to the post office and back.  It was no big deal! 
    • I also went to my first La Leche League meeting on Tuesday morning.  It was a juggle to get both boys into the meeting and back out with all the crap that I carry with me, but it was AWESOME using my ergo.  I put Arie on my back with the Ergo and then carried Luke in the infant car seat in one hand and the diaper bag in the other, with my purse slung over my shoulder. 
  • Postpartum Recovery
    • I'm no longer bleeding as of today! And I think my stitches are healed... Not ready for "normal" activity yet... but mostly that's because of exhaustion, not that I'm not physically ready.
    • I'm 21 lbs down since delivery and I'm 9 lbs above prepregnancy weight.  I'm looking forward to that number continuing to go down... I'm 40lbs above my long term goal and I really wouldn't be surprised if I could lose 40lbs by the fall.  After Arie was born, I lost 85lbs in 6 months and then I got pregnant again... So, 40lbs is going to be no big deal in 4ish months time.  I'm really looking forward to this! 
    • I feel like I can no longer justify the weekly trips to the Chiropractor, I just want to save the money... but of course my body isn't ready to give that up yet with all of my hormones still regulating.
    • No baby blues at all.  I swear breastfeeding seems to be my anti-baby blues secret.  And breastfeeding two must be like super anti baby blues. 
  • Brotherly Love
    • Luke has no idea who anyone is but me... yet.
    • Arie seems to really enjoy kissing Luke.  I don't think he minds sharing at all, as long as I can make room on my lap for him, he's good.  Or if he wants to be held, as long as I am carrying both of them, he's happy.  
  • Marriage
    • I really appreciate Jack so much more now.  I am loving watching him get closer with Arie and have a bond that he didn't have before.  I love watching him with Luke too where I feel more confident and more comfortable to let Jack help a lot more than I did with Arie, so watching him carry Luke upstairs and listening to Luke cry as he's getting his diaper changed isn't even a fraction as stressful as it was when Arie was a newborn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments below.